Hydrogen is emerging as a sustainable alternative to other energy sources with the potential for near-zero greenhouse gas emissions. Although energy transition is in full swing, energy storage remains an unmet challenge even today. Hydrogen has a great potential to address this challenge and is a leading option for long-term energy storage as well as for long-distance transport.
AMBARtec, a technology start-up company in the field of energy and hydrogen storage has developed a robust process for storage, transportation, and reconversion of Hydrogen, making it affordable and effective. Matthias Rudloff, CEO and Co-founder of AMBARtec was with the CEO Views team to share details about how they are making their green energy transition a success story. Its more about enabling others to make their energy transition
Story Of Origin
AMBARtec AG is the brainchild of Uwe Paul, the CTO of the company who possesses an impressive 20 years of experience in the energy business. Alongside Cheif Engineer Dr. Lutsch, and using experiences from the 70s he conceptualized the ground-breaking HyCS® technology. Together, they meticulously crafted a comprehensive plan, leveraging the extensive knowledge and experience of their CEO, Mr. Rudloff. With their vision on paper, they set out to bring this idea to life. Assembling a formidable team of talented engineers, they flawlessly executed the plan. Today, AMBARtec proudly boasts a proven product that is set to revolutionize the industry.
Hydrogen (H2) storage is a central building block for the future energy industry due to its versatile nature as an energy carrier.
The Journey To Success
For AMBARtec, the journey has not been without its fair share of challenges. Yet, it is their unwavering dedication and belief in the vision they hold for themselves that has enabled them to stay the course and successfully achieve their goals. Founded in late 2020, AMBARtec started its operations by January 2021. Over the course, the company has hit some major milestones.
- December 2021: Factory acceptance of HyCS® pilot facility
- Summer 2022: 2.85 M€ funding raised from WDTV + privat individuals
- Pilot plant commissioned successfully Sept 22
- Awarded: H2-company of the year 2022
- Approval in Principal (AIP) confirmed by Lloyds Regsiter (2022)
- Number of team members doubled (June 2023)
- Aug 23: scaled up facility in operation
- Spring 2023 sales & co-operation agreements signed with Switzerland, India and Vietnam
Hydrogen Storage: ACentral Building Block ForEnergy Industry
Hydrogen (H2) storage is a central building block for the future energy industry due to its versatile nature as an energy carrier. It can be produced from renewable sources, making it a sustainable option. Hydrogen storage enables the storage of excess renewable energy during periods of high production, addressing the intermittent nature of renewables and ensuring a stable energy supply.
Additionally, hydrogen has the potential to decarbonize various sectors by replacing fossil fuels in transportation, heating, and industrial processes, thereby reducing greenhouse gas emissions. By integrating renewables, reducing emissions, providing energy storage and transportation solutions, and diversifying energy sources, hydrogen storage plays a vital role in shaping the energy industry of the future.
The core of the HyCS technology is the reduction and oxidation of iron (Fe). AMBARtec’s HyCS process offers numerous advantages compared to the conventional H2 storage.
Fields of Application
- Energy Storage: Efficiently storing excess renewable energy for grid balancing.
- Transportation: AMBARtech is working on intergrating their new medium into the hydrogen transport chains.
- Shipping: With the HyCS® technology several times more H2 can be carried by large oversee ships compared to today’s liquid hydrogen transport.
- Off-Grid Solutions: Providing clean energy to remote areas and isolated installations.
- Large (>30 t) H2 storage for large chemical or steal plants with simplified permitting.
- Decentralized H2 production via Electrolysis as well as from carbon-based sources (pyrolysis, plasma torches), producing on-site hydrogen.
These are just a few examples of the fields of application for HyCS® technology. As the technology evolves and matures, its potential applications are likely to expand, supporting the integration of hydrogen as a versatile and sustainable energy solution.
In the current hydrogen storage marketplace, significant trends revolve around the development of advanced materials for higher storage capacities, the exploration of chemical and solid-state storage methods for improved efficiency, the adoption of liquid organic carriers for safe and reversible transport, the utilization of cryogenic storage for high-density and long-duration applications, the pursuit of lightweight storage solutions for mobile hydrogen applications, and the integration of hydrogen storage with renewable energy systems. These trends collectively aim to enhance storage efficiency, safety, and sustainability, driving the growth and adoption of hydrogen as a key energy carrier in various industries.
AMBARtec’s innovation in hydrogen storage and transportation has undergone rigorous testing and has proven its effectiveness in addressing the challenges present in the market. Speaking about how the company drives innovation, CEO Matthias Rudloff said, “Through extensive research and development, we have developed solutions that offer higher storage capacities, improved efficiency, enhanced safety, and seamless integration with renewable energy systems. We have positioned ourselves as a trusted and reliable provider of advanced hydrogen storage solutions, contributing to the advancement and adoption of hydrogen as a clean and sustainable energy source.”
AMBARtec ensures the viability of their innovation by employing protype development for testing and measurement. They create prototypes like HyCS® – 10 Litre unit and the HyCS® 100 litre unit to evaluate functionality, identify design flaws, and gather valuable stakeholder feedback.
HyCS Technology represents a ground-breaking advancement in hydrogen storage methods, revolutionizing efficiency, compactness, and cost-effectiveness.
HyCS® Technology represents a ground-breaking advancement in hydrogen storage methods, revolutionizing efficiency, compactness, and cost-effectiveness. Their continuous research and development efforts have led to significant improvements in these key areas.
- The HyCS® technology surpasses traditional storage methods by utilizing space with remarkable efficiency.
- HyCS® Technology boasts unrivaled efficiency in energy conversion. Through their innovative approach, they have the potential for a remarkable 100% increase in the power-to-power efficiency compared to conventional H2-storage systems.
- AMBARtec leverages low-cost, readily available materials that are market-proven and environmentally sustainable.
- The technology addresses the water demand associated with hydrogen production.
The next decade is going to transform the entire façade of the energy industry. With a clear roadmap, AMBARtec plans to complete the product development of a 20’ H2 storage device with a strong capacity of 600 kg H2 20 MWh and looks forward to enter into contractual agreement of field test projects for this storage in various applications. Alongside that,theyaim to deepen their sales partnership with Canada for the North American market. In the long run, AMBARtec envisions to construct their own factory for storage elements and drive greater sales (> €400 million) from financial year 2027. They wish to expand their network of production and sales partners, building a team of 50 plus employees.
Through their advancements in space utilization, energy conversion efficiency, cost optimization, and reduced water demand, AMBARtec is driving the hydrogen industry towards a more sustainable and accessible future.
Sharing his advice for burgeoning entrepreneurs, Matthias Rudloff says, “Don’t wait for the perfect solution, but be open to opportunities and seize them.”